Today’s Supervisor: A Series on Leadership and The Law
Improve your organization’s overall performance by strengthening the skills of the frontline supervisor. In the current tight labor market, it has never been more important for employers to train and retain employees. Supervisors play a key role in maintaining employee satisfaction and engagement. But the reality is that many supervisors need more support in the “people” aspects of their jobs.
In this series of four-hour sessions, your supervisors will consider all aspects of the employment relationship – from employee selection through termination. We will “upskill” your
frontline leaders so that they can positively manage your entire workforce to enhance engagement, loyalty, and performance. At the same time, we’ll provide training to help supervisors be
comfortable with and effectively manage difficult situations and problematic employees.
K|W|W professionals will lead each session, emphasizing development of soft or foundational skills. This series will help supervisors communicate more effectively and develop a positive
leadership style, which are both key to promoting and maintaining employee engagement. Each session will include case studies, role playing, and other collaborative activities to help supervisors
apply the concepts reviewed, better understand legal compliance, improve their leadership styles, and empower them to handle a very difficult job more effectively.
Who should attend Today’s Supervisor?
Sessions are targeted to supervisors, managers, team leads, and other individuals who have direct, day-to-day management of employees (maximum of 16 participants).
Day One: Essential Leadership Skills and Fair Employment Practices
- Focus on helping leaders understand and develop foundational skills that are a key to their success: effective communication, positive employee relations, motivation, performance management, and other social skills.
- Discuss challenges and opportunities in the transition from non-supervisory employee to a supervisory/managerial position.
- Provide an overview of relevant employment laws that provide the legal framework in which supervisors must operate.
- Develop the skill of effective documentation.
Day Two: Employee Selection and On-Boarding and Effective Supervision of Employees with Health Issues
- Discuss employee selection (with a focus on interviewing best practices).
- Review what a supervisor really needs to know about employee health issues: FMLA, ADA, and workers’ compensation.
- Learn to identify when an employee needs leave, approach that employee, and have that conversation.
Day Three: Recognizing and Addressing Inappropriate Workplace Conduct
- Help supervisors define performance and behavior expectations for the employees they supervise.
- Understand keys to holding employees accountable and helping supervisors be more comfortable having difficult conversations.
- Recognize and respond to harassment, violence, inappropriate conduct, and substance abuse issues in the workplace.
Day Four: Compensation, Corrective Action, and Connecting It All
- Consider basics of Fair Labor Standards Act for supervisors.
- Discuss effective corrective action/progressive discipline (up to and including termination).
- Connecting it all; debrief on considerations related to effective leadership.
Prefer On-Site Training?
Today’s Supervisor is also available for individual employers. This series can be customized to a specific employer and held at K|W|W or the employer’s site. Condensing the program to two, all-day sessions in this format is also available.
Please contact Meg Matejkovic (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss on-site training in greater detail.
$950 per participant.