Today’s Supervisor: A Series on Leadership and The Law
Improve your organization’s overall performance by strengthening the skills of the frontline supervisor. In the current tight labor market, it has never been more important for employers to train and retain employees. Supervisors play a key role in maintaining employee satisfaction and engagement. But the reality is that many supervisors need more support in the “people” aspects of their jobs.
In this series of four-hour sessions, your supervisors will consider all aspects of the employment relationship – from employee selection through termination. We will “upskill” your
frontline leaders so that they can positively manage your entire workforce to enhance engagement, loyalty, and performance. At the same time, we’ll provide training to help supervisors be
comfortable with and effectively manage difficult situations and problematic employees.
K|W|W professionals will lead each session, emphasizing development of soft or foundational skills. This series will help supervisors communicate more effectively and develop a positive
leadership style, which are both key to promoting and maintaining employee engagement. Each session will include case studies, role playing, and other collaborative activities to help supervisors
apply the concepts reviewed, better understand legal compliance, improve their leadership styles, and empower them to handle a very difficult job more effectively.
Day One: Essential Leadership Skills and Fair Employment Practices
- Understanding the importance of a leader’s effective “soft skills”/overview of considerations in effective leadership.
- Discussion of transition from non-supervisory employee to one with supervisory/managerial responsibilities.
- Introduction to anti-discrimination laws.
- Effective documentation.
Day Two: Employee Selection and Leaves of Absence/Workplace Adjustments
- Employee selection (with a focus on interviewing best practices).
- Managing leaves of absence and other workplace adjustments (including the Family and Medical Leave Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act).
Day Three: Recognizing and Addressing Inappropriate Workplace Conduct
- Expectations related to appropriate workplace behavior and conduct.
- Drug testing implications for supervisors.
Day Four: Compensation, Corrective Action, and Connecting It All
- Introduction to applicable aspects of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Effective corrective action/progressive discipline (considerations related up to and including termination).
- Connecting it all; debrief on considerations related to effective leadership.
Prefer On-Site Training?
Today’s Supervisor is also available for individual employers. This series can be customized to a specific employer and held at K|W|W or the employer’s site. Condensing the program to two, all-day sessions in this format is also available.
Please contact Meg Matejkovic (email@example.com) to discuss on-site training in greater detail.
$950 per series or $250 per session for each registered attendee